Friday, August 23, 2019

SENIOR UNDER OFFICER VASANTHA ......


SENIOR UNDER OFFICER VASANTHA
Receiving Special Award from the Chief Guest – Q.M.C. – Final Year B.Sc.




I joined NCC  in QMC - Senior division, 6 th Medical Batallion. 

Initial rank for every one was just cadet. Though many girls joined NCC to escape evening games, I joined with genuine interest. 
I used to attend all the classes (weekly 2), take part in parade training, At the end of first year, we all were waiting for the announcement of promotion. One Mrs.Lalitha was the lady officer. She announced that I have been promoted as Corporal, with 2 stripes and it was a double promotion. I became all the more responsible.
At the beginning of 2nd year, I got yet another promotion  to quarter Master Seargent - with 3 stripes and a Ashok Chakra above that. 
Before Republic Day parade in Marina, I was promoted as Troup Seargent Major. 
I was the right marker in the republic day parade.

I wrote G1 Test at the end of 2nd year & got the first position in Drill, signal, Morse code, First Aid & Home Nursing.

3rd year beginning,  B.Sc. - I was the Senior Under Officer and was the senior most cadet in among the city college cadets.

In the month of December, selection was made for the Republic Day parade at Delhi; The selection was at Madras Medical College

That was the time India was facing Chinese aggression. So, as an Economy measure, only 2 girl cadets & 5 boys were selected for the camp; myself & one Anitha of Medical College. 
We attended the first training  camp during the Christmas vacation. 
My father's worry was (even my lecturers were worried) if I will cope with the university exam in April after nearly one month break in January. I assured him that I will manage. 
We were all ready with our kit bag, with specially starched & ironed Uniforms etc. - Just on the eve of our departure, the news came that the Parade is cancelled. 
It was a great disappointment.

As a sort of compensation, we were invited for the party given by the Governor on the eve of the republic day. 
Anita suggested that I go over to MMC & wait near the gate & she will join me so that we could go together. I was punctually at the gate around 4 pm & my father came with me. That girl didn't turn up till 4.45 pm & the party was at 5.30. 

So my father suggested that we push off as I can not be late for such functions. We ahd to take one bus uptoSaidapet& another to Guindy. With great stress I reached the gate of Raj Bhavan at 5.25 pm & literally ran to the place where the tea was arranged. I was on dot at 5.30 m. 

The Governor shook hands with us & photographs taken & then we had tea. Anita came late with an explanation that her aunt told her that she will drop her by car ! How irresponsible ! 

3rd year I wrote G2 exam 7 again stood first in all the subjects. 

Our college Principal honoured me specially with an allrounder Cup. 

During these 3 yrs I attended several camps. 
The last one is unforgettable. 
There was no lady officer available to accompany us. I was entrusted with the responsibility of taking around 150 cadets from Madras. All papers, tickets & money needed were given to me & I boarded the train at Central for the camp at Ooy.

We went by Blue mountain train up to Mettuppaalayam. There we had to take the hill train to Ooty. I managed to get breakfast for every one etc. 

I was totally responsible for the entire Tamil Nadu, Pondichery, Andaman/Nicobar cadets. Looking back I just can't believe myself that at that age I had that much of guts to manage !

Totally around 500 cadets were there from all over India & on the first day myself & another girl from North were competing for the camp leader post. After commands test, I was selected as the Senior Under Officer of the camp.

Everything went off well; we were returning and the relief & joy of managing the camp was short lived. 
There was a cadet (PUC) - Usha. She was crazy & wanted to be with me always. A girl from SIET College, Lakshmi, was again another crazy girl who wanted to stay with me in the train to Madras. 

When Usha cried & created a scene, this girl Lakshmi, at late night  tried getting down from the train to go to the compartment, where her college girls were there. Though she got down as the train was about to stop, she slipped & fell in the track and the wheel of the train ran over her toes. 
Thank God, before the train started again, I heard the moaning sound of this girl, pulled the chain for safety, got down & we were all shocked to see her in the track. We pulled her out, some first aid was given, the train started, the station master informed to the next big station for medical attendance. She was suffering from acute pain & developed high temperature. 

I didn't know how I was going to face her parents, who while departing for the camp, specially talked to me & entrusted her to me. At Madras Central, immediately ambulance was called for & she was moved to General Hospital where she underwent Plastic surgery & it took nearly 3 months for her to become normal ! 

Even before I got my results I was offered a job in NCC head office as a Second Leftinant. But my father was not for taking up that job. 

Sri Kamaraj, Sri Bakthavatsalam, Ms.Iravathy (Principal – Q.M.C.)


Group Photo 




No comments:

Post a Comment